CCNCTO is looking for two candidates with experience in community and labour organizing
beginning as soon as possible for a period of three months with the possibility for extension.
This position will provide emergency support to vulnerable and precarious Chinese workers
during the pandemic. The position involves, but not limited to: outreach to workers in the
community, provide support to workers accessing vaccines, provide case support, and
coordinate meetings with community members. The work will be done in accordance with
CCNCTO’s current worker organizing work, to support workers in enforcing their own rights,
and building community for workers in the Chinese community.
Ideal candidates will have access to vehicles, strong social skills, experience and
understanding of labour and community organizing, the ability to work independently, strong understanding of the Chinese immigrant community in the GTA, strong social ties to the Chinese immigrant community and understanding of anti-oppression framework.
● Knowledge of issues impacting precarious Chinese workers especially workers in the
community such as: grocery, retail, restaurants, and others.
● Able to speak Mandarin, and ideally Fujianese and/or Cantonese, and working
knowledge of English.
● Experience with community and/ or labour organizing.
● Knowledge of Toronto-based organizations that work with Chinese workers
● Experience in community outreach and organizing community meetings/events, and
● Ability to work effectively under stress and tight deadlines
● Experience working with volunteers and coordinating roles & responsibilities
● Passion in community organizing and social justice
● Knowledge of the current labour movements and campaigns in Ontario is a strong
● Outreach to vulnerable and precarious Chinese workers
● Identify workers and community leaders and build up their capacity in taking
leadership roles in CCNCTO's organizing work
● Identify priorities and needs in the Chinese immigrant community, specifically in the
● Provide support to workers accessing vaccines: help booking vaccine appointments,
and providing rides to workers to vaccine sites when required
● Produce and distribute relevant community information
● Lead and organize community meetings with members and volunteers
● Report to the Executive Director
● Other duties as required
These two positions start as soon as possible with a period of three months with the possibility for extension.
Hours are 15-20 hours per week and the rate of pay is $20 per hour
Please email a cover letter and resume in one PDF/Word document with the title “[Your
Name]’s Application for position of Community Organizer”. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm on May 9th, 2021.
In your cover letter please include an answer to the following question:
What are the challenges for Chinese immigrant community during the pandemic?
We thank all applicants, but will only be contacting those selected for an interview. Interviews are planned to be on a rolling basis until the positions are filled.
For questions and concerns please email us at - email@example.com.
Download job posting here: